Monday, July 5, 2010

Family Traditions

When I think about growing up, I remember happy traditions with family. I remember birthdays in the backyard, with homemade games and cakes. I remember writing plays for family gatherings, to celebrate the first Thanksgiving, etc. I remember big Christmas parties, with the whole extended family and lots of presents! I remember my grandpa's crab soup, and singing a silly song with the family, called Crabs for Christmas! I remember, him teasing and making up names for the grand kids. I remember Oma's eggnog, that got stronger over the years. I remember lots of new loves coming and going from the family, always being welcomed and hugged. I remember my house being the place for kids to come and play. These memories are good and I have tried to create new one's for my children. I know we are lucky to have so many cousins near by. I realize that you can't choose your family, but they are a big part of your world and make who you are today. That maybe hard when you start looking at your qualities. Wondering where did I get that? As I sit and reflect on a weekend at a family reunion, I think about how hard I laughed and the pictures I took and the memories we shared. I had a great time. I learned a lot about different members and how it was to grow up long ago. Wow, how things have changed in relationships, gender roles, child rearing, and much more. I hope to continue the bonds that were strengthen this weekend, with the use of technology. We are fortunate to have so many ways to share our life. I will try, even more, to foster relationships with family, because it is important. You may not like everything about your family, but being conscious about the things you don't like, can help you make changes for the present and future. Love your family, spend time together, don't take them for granted, talk with them, share stories and pictures, laugh! This will create balance in your world.

Things I find fascinating

  • Bagua Board/ Dream board
  • Balanced Birth Approach
  • Birthing From Within
  • E Is For Ethics
  • Homeschooling
  • The Bradley Method Of Natural Childbirth
  • The Family Virtues Guide
  • The Power of Wisdom
  • Waldorf
  • Young Living Essential Oils
  • Zen in Ten Seconds